Thursday, August 26, 2010

This, the first blog entry, is, like my life, late and out of order


Greetings from Ghana! Greetings from an official Peace Corps Volunteer!
I have been in Ghana for 12-13 weeks now and this is my first blog post…sorry.  Please trust that I have been incredibly busy, had very little internet access, and that I always planned on starting up a blog as soon as training ended.  See how I deliver on my promises?
Well training is done, and I have begun my service as a PCV (Peace Corps Volunteer), and there is so much to tell that I don’t know whether to start from the beginning or the end or in medias res, but I think stream of consciousness perhaps will work best, because otherwise I think this will take far too much time, and I’ll enjoy it far more if I do it in rhyme, at least until the stream runs dry, and from lack of inspiration I break down and cry.  So hear it goes I'll give a try, and yet here I am still delaying, oh how the time flies...ok, enough with that!  Here are some facts:
In the beginning...I had been living in Shanghai for 2.5 years, had a steady job with Global Shares, and a well developed life, which I left in a whirlwind fashion after hearing with little advance notice that I had been accepted to join the Peace Corps in Ghana as a Small Enterprise Development Volunteer.  It was a very emotional time in my life, and I really did leave a lot behind.  I still miss my friends and colleagues in Shanghai and hope to remain in contact with them.  
Yet a life in the Peace Corps called to me.  The adventure, the challenge, and the opportunity to orient my life towards bettering the world, particularly towards utilizing the resources and dynamism of capitalism to the benefit of the world's poorest billions proved to be an opportunity I could not pass up.  And thus, I quit my job, broke up with my girlfriend, gave up any hopes (fledgling as they were) at Chinese Pop Stardom (capitalized), and moved back to the States, where I would spend 2 weeks at home in California with my parents before heading off to Peace Corps staging in Philadelphia.

7 comments:

  1. hi jonathan,
    very exciting to see u started the blog!
    so far so good, can't wait to hear about the Africa portion, the people, the village, the shea butter, your living conditions, and so on...
    xo lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful! I look forward to your next entry and many to follow. Love Always, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. 哥们儿,good start! keep it coming... but why did you have to pick a blog website that's blocked by the great fire wall. I'm starting to question how much you really miss us.... Just playing. we still love you over here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I take your choose and I hope you will succeed in many years.

    ReplyDelete